[time-nuts] Re: 5061A HV Supply, et al. {External}

Jim Muehlberg jmuehlbe at nrao.edu
Tue Nov 15 16:19:22 UTC 2022

OK, great info!  I am very nervous around HV, but now I understand that
he A18 can't even handle the 10M input on the expensive Keitlhy DMM I
foolishly connected.

Even with the high tension lead disconnected and well away from metal,
the ion pump current is still pegged.

So, despite that, I built a divider which turned out to be 64.2MOhm.
Across the 103K at the bottom I got 1.2V giving about 12 uA, so the
supply is only delivering about 800 volts.  Is it really this wimpy?  if
it normally delivers about 10uA, that suggests a 350MOhm Load.  So, I
put in another few resistors and brought the total to ~172.3M, yielding
0.472 across the 103K giving around 785V in.

I even went so far as to clean the vicinity of the A18 output.  Since my
hearing is not wonderful, I could not detect any corona discharge or
buzzing or whatever it's should sound like.

I suppose the final nail in the A18 coffin will be removing it and bench
testing.  (BTW, the input voltage is good)

Thanks for all the help.