[time-nuts] Re: What phase variations to expect in a DMTD due to temperature fluctuations?

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.se
Tue Nov 15 21:59:42 UTC 2022

Hi,

Somewhere in the NIST T&F archive, there is reference to how mixers
cause a reflection of energy and temperature coefficients then change
phase and working-point. They use 3 dB damper on the mixer to stabilize
that and reduce the tempco situation. The signal degradation is
compensated for but improvement in stability significant. As I recall
it, they refer to the cable phase stability with regard to temperature
to be part of the culprit.

Now, DBM isn't perfect in terms of balance and nor is the Gilbert cell
mixers that Erik is using, so milage may vary, but one should look at
multiple aspects. Alteration of operating points, alteration of
dielectric with temperature etc. is things to be aware of and then try
to figure out which is the major driver for your setup and measurement
needs and aims.

I am sure someone have attempted to temperature stabilize a mixer at
some time.

When building synths for music, we end up temperature compensating the
expo-converters or even ovenize them to achieve needed stability. That
is not far from what a mixer does. Also, it is what got me into this
time and frequency thing in the first place.

Cheers,
Magnus