[time-nuts] Re: What phase variations to expect in a DMTD due to temperature fluctuations?

Erik Kaashoek erik at kaashoek.com
Wed Nov 16 15:58:02 UTC 2022

Magnus,
As often with your advice, I'm not smart enough to understand.
The digital down mixing to zero Hz is done with I/Q mixers where sin/cos
of the internal LO is multiplied with the input signals and then average
over some samples to get I and Q of the signal vector as the output
frequency is zero Hz.
I would expect I would need a separate set of I/Q mixers for the side
channel and by summing over many samples the noise would be reduced
sufficiently to get a relevant I and Q signal even if the side channel
has 40dB lower amplitude. I may have used the word FFT to describe the
operation of the I/Q mixers as computationally they look a lot like a
single bucket FFT
Erik.