[time-nuts] leap seconds finally being retired?

Chris Caudle chris at chriscaudle.org
Tue Nov 22 18:21:07 UTC 2022

Did I miss some messages?  I did not see any discussion of the vote to
retire leap seconds which took place last Friday.  I just saw this in my
news headlines today:
https://gizmodo.com/leap-second-time-1849807606

"A global group of scientists and government officials voted (almost
unanimously) Friday to axe the small time adjustment method, in a change
scheduled to take place by 2035."

Official resolution (resolution 4):
https://www.bipm.org/documents/20126/64811223/Resolutions-2022.pdf/281f3160-fc56-3e63-dbf7-77b76500990f

Also resolution 5 sets out a timeline for redefining the second with
something other than cesium (would like to have the choice for the
preferred atom species decided in 2026, and vote on the new standard
definition in 2030).

I thought Magnus wrote previously that he was going to be at that meeting
last week, but perhaps I misunderstood and he was only providing input,
not physically attending.

--
Chris Caudle