[time-nuts] Re: leap seconds finally being retired?

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Wed Nov 23 12:00:59 UTC 2022

Chris,

As you noticed, earth rotation and leap seconds have been in the news a
bit the past few years, from newspaper articles to clickbait websites.
We tend to steer leap second discussions over to the LEAPSECS [1]
mailing list rather than here on time-nuts [2]. It's been convenient to
operate both lists this way because it keeps the time-nuts list pretty
calm while the leap second list tends to be rather polarized, a two
decades long heated argument on a single topic.

The short answer is that, yes, after many years of consideration and
maneuvering the idea to eliminate leap seconds in UTC is one step closer
to happening (resolution 4). The sides have run out of arguments.

On a lesser note, resolution 3 is the addition of new SI prefixes for a
couple more outrageously large and small units. They have now run out of
letters.

And, yes, resolution 5 paves the way for an optical clock [re]definition
of the SI second, which will be fun to watch. They have now run out of
atoms to try.

Don't worry, leapsecond.com and time-nuts will be around whether leap
seconds exists or not, whether the SI second is based cesium or not. So
far not a single optical clock has appeared on eBay ;-)

/tvb