[time-nuts] DMTD and TICC with YimeLab question

Skip Withrow skip.withrow at gmail.com
Fri Nov 25 02:45:21 UTC 2022

I have a DMTD front end (based upon the William Wriley design) driving a
TAPR TICC and processing the data with TimeLab.  I just want to make sure
that I understand how all the pieces fit together and that my results are
correct.

The input signals are at 10MHz and I am using a 10,000,010 Hz offset
oscillator.
This means that I am getting 10 readings per second and that the input
phase difference should be multiplied by 10E6 (one million).
So, if I feed the same signal into both inputs with one delayed 9ns the
TICC (operated in time difference mode) should give a reading of 9x10E-9 x
10E6 = 9ms (9x10E-3).

Now, to make TimeLab give rational results the TICC difference readings
have to be scaled by the DMTD front end multiplication factor (one
million).  So, in setting up TimeLab the TICC time difference readings need
to be multiplied by 10E-6.  But I think there is a notation problem here -
I represent numbers as
n.n x 10Ey  and I think the TimeLab representation is n.nEy (can anyone
confirm this?).  This makes things very easy to be off by a factor of 10
(the problem I think I am having).

Also, the TICC has a resolution of about 60ps.When the DMTD front end is
factored in does this mean that the (theoretical) resolution is 60 x
10E-18s?  I realize that the noise floor is MUCH higher than this.

Thanks for any insights, or putting me on the right track.

Skip Withrow