[time-nuts] Re: DMTD and TICC with TimeLab question

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Fri Nov 25 07:46:39 UTC 2022

Hi Skip,

On Thu, 24 Nov 2022 19:45:21 -0700
Skip Withrow via time-nuts <time-nuts at lists.febo.com> wrote:

> I represent numbers as
> n.n x 10Ey  and I think the TimeLab representation is n.nEy (can anyone
> confirm this?).  This makes things very easy to be off by a factor of 10
> (the problem I think I am having).

Well, you are using a non-standard notation.

The a E b notation is interpreted as a * 10^b
(see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_notation#E_notation )
So, your notation using a x 10E b to mean x 10^y is not how people
normally use this notation. Hence the libraries usually used to
read and interpret numbers will not correctly handle your notation.

I would suggest that you switch your notation to what is the "standard".
If you don't have the source of the pogram that generates these numbers,
a simple perl line fixes things:

perl -pe 's/x\s?10E/E/g' <inputfile >outputfile

			Attila Kinali
--
Science is made up of so many things that appear obvious
after they are explained. -- Pardot Kynes