[time-nuts] Re: Neon clock from factory at Motorola years ago

Thomas D. Erb tde at electrictime.com
Fri Nov 25 13:02:38 UTC 2022

 More likely than not  this is a slave clock powered by   a 24VDC reverse polarity using a Lavet-type stepping motor movement<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lavet-type_stepping_motor> made by mobatime of Switzerland controlled  by a master clock - I would open the case and see what the movement marking are - some are 12VDC some 24VDC and some switchable.

We make the same time of master clock,  after the clock is initially set -  the master clock remembers the position of the impulse clock - I believe the reverse polarity type of movement was developed due to problems with double bounce relay contact on the master clock.

An H-bridge would also run this or to test the movement  just apply 12VDC or 24VDC and to the movement and alternate for the next pulse.

Thomas D. Erb
p:        508-359-4396
f:        508-359-4482
a:        97 West Street, Medfield, MA 02052 USA
e:         tde at electrictime.com
w:        www.electrictime.com
Tower & Street Clocks Since 1928