[time-nuts] Re: Long term stable environmental sensors

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Wed Nov 30 08:40:17 UTC 2022

Hoi Dan,

On Tue, 29 Nov 2022 14:01:56 -0500
Dan Kemppainen via time-nuts <time-nuts at lists.febo.com> wrote:

> Has this board been restarted lately? Does the temperature error exist
> after a reboot of the hardware/software?

Yes. It is persistent.

> One very long shot/minor concern is errors in the calculation in the
> micro due to bit flips or other silliness with the calibration
> coefficients in the micro controller memory. (This would only be a
> concern for devices where the coefficients are only read at startup).

The calculations are done on the PC, not on a uC. The uC on the board
acts only as an SPI to USB interface.

> Is it possible there is actually more heat near the sensor? New
> computer/phone charger, or failing power supply near by?

Please, give me some credit :-P

> I'm also curious how much these drift, as I've been running them in the
> lab here too.

I don't have exact data, but it seems like it started somewhen 2-3 years
ago and is getting worse quickly now.

			Attila Kinali

--
Science is made up of so many things that appear obvious
after they are explained. -- Pardot Kynes