[time-nuts] Re: What everyday uses are there for accurate clocks?

Hal Murray halmurray at sonic.net
Wed Nov 30 09:49:42 UTC 2022

Dr. David Kirkby said:
> I can���t see how knowing who posted what first on Facebook, Instagram etc
> affects the user experience, when differences in time are any less than a
> second.

It doesn't make any difference to the people which of two really-close events
happens first.

What does matter is that separate data centers agree.  It's a data base issue
rather than a user interface issue.

Google put atomic clocks in all their data centers.

Spanner: TrueTime and external consistency
  https://cloud.google.com/spanner/docs/true-time-external-consistency

----------

Many years ago, it wasn't quite uncommon for Unix shops to get into trouble
because the time on their systems weren't consistent.  I forget the details.
It involved NFS - Network File Systems and time on the NFS server being
different from the time on the workstation used to edit a file.

This looks like a good summary:

why does NFS require synchronized system clocks?
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/549550/why-does-nfs-require-synchroniz
ed-system-clocks

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.