[time-nuts] Re: Compairing the phase drifts between two PPS signals

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Tue Oct 4 22:55:02 UTC 2022

On 10/4/22 16:29, Mayukh Bagchi via time-nuts wrote:

Hi Mayukh!  See below...

>  From what I understand going through Thomas's (and John's) email and please correct me if I am wrong, I would be using our stable OCXO clock to run the TICC and then feed that same signal(10 MHz) into one of the input signal ports. In that case, would I also need to square the sine wave output of my OCXO? for that purpose would an LTC 6957 (with a CMOS logic output) be useful?
> And do I just insert the 1 PPS from the GPS into the other signal port of the TICC? Won't there be an issue as I am trying to measure two signals with different frequencies i.e 10MHz and 1 PPS? I guess I didn't quite understand that well.

There are two main ways to use the TICC for this kind of timing:  (a) as
a traditional time interval counter with one DUT and one reference PPS
input plus a 10 MHz clock input, or (b) as a timestamping counter with
one (or two) PPS input, and a 10 MHz clock that also acts as the reference.

In case (a) you measure the (changing) interval between the two PPS
sources, and the 10 MHz clock is used as a transfer standard -- its
performance does not need to be anything special because you are using
it to measure such short time periods that the clock noise is irrelevant
(within reason).  You analyze the changes in time interval over time to
determine frequency offset and stability.

In case (b) you measure a series of timestamps from one PPS source and
compare the second-to-second variations of the PPS source compared to
the 10 MHz clock.  In that case, the clock *is* important.  The
timestamps might look like this (lots of decimal places removed for
simplicity):

5.000 103
6.000 054
7.000 005
7.999 953
8.999 902

To extract phase data from this, you subtract the prior timestamp from
the present one, and then subtract the nominal period to get the
relative phase of the PPS compared to the 10 MHz clock, and analyze how
that varies over time.  [ In this case, the TICC can measure timestamps
from each of its two channels independently, so you can compare two
oscillators against a common reference, if you want. ]

Case (a) is the traditional method and works just fine if you have two
PPS sources; the 10 MHz source doesn't need to be anything too fancy.
Case (b) is more convenient if you already have a 10 MHz output from
your reference; it avoids a divider.  With the TICC, case (a) also gives
you a two channel measurement system instead of just one.  In theory you
can argue that the timestamp method might have slightly better
performance than time interval, but in practice it's very hard to see
the difference.

> Also, do you think overall the TICC would fit my case? Would I be able to measure the phase drift information well enough using this setup?

The TICC noise floor is something better than 1e-10 at tau=1 second and
goes down decade per decade with increasing tau.  With the rule of thumb
that the noise should be a decade below the measurement, you should be
able to measure <1e-9 at 1 second with good confidence.  You'll have to
decide whether that's sufficient.  If it's not, you'll probably need to
go with a different and likely 17 dB more expensive measurement system.

Hope this helps!

John