[time-nuts] Re: Use of dual frequency GPS for NTP server and other purposes

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Oct 4 23:57:46 UTC 2022

Hi

The main issue with using the output of a GPS receiver directly is
dropouts. They can be caused by a variety of things. When the GPS
“goes away” you loose all timing information.  Do these various things
( jamming, birds, lightning, …..) impact you? If they do, depending on
just how the loss of timing impacts you, you do or don’t have a problem.

Into an NTP server, the impact will still be there. How great an impact
it is depends a *lot* on what the next level source going into the server
is. The commercial NTP gizmos tend to have things like OCXO’s or Rb
standards in them. That gives them a bit better performance than a
typical DIY computer based NTP server.

If you *do* go with a dual freq GPS, you can do a very good job of working
out the location of your antenna. With some effort that can improve the
net timing accuracy. If post processing timing correction is ok in this
case, that also is a lot easier / more accurate with a full set of dual freq
GPS data to correct against.

So, when it works, you might be down into the < 10 ns range. When that
bird sits on that antenna …. microseconds …. takes a nap … milliseconds ….

Lots of tradeoffs.

Bob