[time-nuts] Re: Compairing the phase drifts between two PPS signals

Carsten Andrich carsten.andrich at tu-ilmenau.de
Wed Oct 5 08:47:31 UTC 2022

Hi Mayukh,

I implemented an SDR-based (USRP N210/X310 w/ LFRX daughterboards)
solution for simultaneous measurement of sine and pulse signals ~5 years
ago. It achieved 360 fs 1\sigma accuracy for 10 MHz signals and 16.6 ps
1\sigma for pulse signals. [1]

We also work with the RFSoC. I believe you should be able to implement a
similar, sampling-based solution with it if you have ADC channels to
spare. If your RFSoC board implements multi-tile synchronization (MTS)
you could coherently sample the 1PPS, your down-mixed interferometry RF
signal, and any associated reference signals. With a shared, low phase
noise sampling clock that approach should enable the best possible
accuracy and precision compared to using additional external sensors.

Best regards,
Carsten

[1] https://arxiv.org/abs/1803.01438