[time-nuts] Re: HP atomic clocks . The cesium tubes in them are no longer any good, {External}

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Oct 11 20:13:17 UTC 2022

Hi

One caution to anybody heading down this rabbit hole …..

HP made a series of instruments. Modules from an “A” version may not all
work in a “B” version ( but some will …). Bits and pieces from a 5060 might
work in a 5061, but not everything will. If you are collecting, best to decide
on a model and grab a couple of same / same units.

There seem to be a pretty good range of “spare boards” out there. They may
or may not all be 100% functional. Most of the parts on the boards are fairly
easy to dig up and replace. Yes, there are a few exceptions ….

In a modern 5071, the high performance tube will run for about 6 to 7 years
( full time ). At the end of life the output will become noisy and then the unit
eventually will fail to lock ( maybe a few months later). The “standard” tube
has a lifespan that is much longer.

One can do this or that to get an old tube running. One that’s working when
you turn things off, may or may not come back to life a few months later
when you turn things back on again.

None of this is to in any way suggest you don’t get in to this. It’s fun and you
will learn a lot about how a Cs standard works. The only point is that getting
one running and keeping it running can become a fairly involved project.

Bob