[time-nuts] Re: Reducing time-interval noise with RNCAN PPP?

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Sun Oct 16 15:10:32 UTC 2022

That's an interesting question, and I'm interested in what other might
have to say.

The first question is, are you thinking of using RTK for real-time
correction, or post-processing for after-the-fact?

If real-time, you might want to look at Ole Petter Ronningen's work
about using PPP RTK (not necessarily NRCan) to make an extremely good
GPSDO -- check out https://www.efos3.com/GPSDO/GPSDO.html (and he has
some other very informative pages as well.  That project isn't quite
what you're asking about, but it's close enough to give you some
starting points.

If post-processing, you can extract clock offset data from the NRCan
results that will let you see your local clock performance compared to
the GPS constellation with time lags from a few hours for the
ultra-rapid corrections to about 17 days for the final corrections.  I
think the shortest measurement interval that NRCan PPP supports is 30
seconds.  From what I can determine, the noise floor of the measurements
is in the mid e-13s at 30 seconds, improving with longer intervals at a
-1 slope.

If you're brave enough to unsolder the top of the ZED-F9T module, you'll
find a 64-ish MHz TCXO.  Replacing that with a signal synthesized from a
better standard might (and I stress "might") provide better short term
performance.  It's not an experiment I've tried!

John
----