[time-nuts] Re: Reducing time-interval noise with RNCAN PPP?

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon Oct 17 12:06:34 UTC 2022

Hi

The uBlox ( or any other receiver ) will feed you correction info
relative to the signal solution it got at this or that second. There
are a lot of possible sources of error in that solution. The model
used for the ionosphere and troposphere is only good to a certain
level. The orbits are only defined to a certain degree. The clocks
on the sats are drifting this way and that.

The post processing looks at piles and piles of data after the fact.
The numbers get crunched. Eventually a much better estimate of
those things and a pile of others as well. The net result is a much
better answer to the “where am I / what time is is” question.

The various real time correction data streams try to emulate this
process. If accurate time is the goal, there are data streams focused
on this. Last time I played with them, they did indeed work. The
main issue was dropouts in the system. You would have data
for a while, but not 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Hitting above
70% was doing very well ….

As always, this comes back to: What are you looking for / trying
to do? If you are after tenth's of a nanosecond sort of answers,
then post processing is a really good idea.

Bob