[time-nuts] Re: Phase Noise Measurement in Dallas

Thomas Tammann t at tammann.com
Thu Oct 27 18:30:44 UTC 2022

Thank you all!

First and foremost, most people who actually heard comparison with different Ethernet setups agree that it sounds different. Technically, it does not make sense at the surface, zeros and ones are just that. But its not that simple. Nobody argues that the digital signal alters depending on a e.g. switch or shielded vs unshielded CAT6 cable. But the zeros and ones are only logical, not physical aka voltages...

Also, there is a huge gap between the “measuring is everything” crowd in audio and “hearing trumps everything” crowd. Both are wrong. The truth is somewhere in the middle and we try to figure out which measurements have actually an influence on audio and why. Bottom line, changes on all levels of the OSI model CAN have an influence in the resulting quality of the audio system.

Crystek vs my Symmetricom OCXO:
The producer of my switch says that the Crystek actually measures much better in real than on paper. He talks to the manufacturer and has insight knowledge.
The Symmetricom may or may NOT improve over the Crystek depending on the individual specimen and implementation.

Hence, my goal is to measure: I hope I would see
114 at 1HZ and 140db at 10Hz. Not only would it confirm what I hear ;-) but also justifies the money I put down for a “preselected” (binned) specimen. Also, if I buy another clock with different phase noise and ADEV, I can hear for myself how much this makes a difference in real world audio pleasure vs upgrading eg a pre-amp….

But yes, in the meantime I learned a lot from you guys, thank you!!

Tom

PS:
If you wanna read how nerdy audio guys are ;-)
https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/59419-master-clock-for-your-etherregen/ <https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/59419-master-clock-for-your-etherregen/>
(A few guys would make great members of this mailing list ;-)

This guy is seriously interested to measure in oder to understand thinks he can hear but not explain
https://www-open--end--music-com.translate.goog/forum/privatforen/thomas-michael-rudolph-tmr/651284-messungen-von-ethernet-infrastruktur-switches-nur-lesen?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=de&_x_tr_pto=wapp <https://www-open--end--music-com.translate.goog/forum/privatforen/thomas-michael-rudolph-tmr/651284-messungen-von-ethernet-infrastruktur-switches-nur-lesen?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=de&_x_tr_pto=wapp>