[time-nuts] Re: Phase Noise Measurement in Dallas

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Oct 28 17:56:37 UTC 2022

Hi

Moving back a bit: What *can* you expect an external reference to
improve on a clock system?

Looking for phase noise improvement typically isn’t what you are after.
The phase noise is determined by what’s already inside the box. The impact
of the reference will not be very apparent as you look at a full up phase
noise plot of the output clock.

What the reference *will* do is to improve the long term stability of the clock
signal. The devices that are already inside the box are not great for drift / aging /
temperature / warmup / wander / ( or whatever term you might wish to use ….).
There are a number of things you could look for an improvement in. All are
based on the assumption that the device currently is based on the Crystek part
or possibly a TCXO. ( If a TCXO is present, I have not seen mention of it ).

1) Temperature stability should improve by several orders of magnitude. Even in
a normal room setting this improvement should be apparent and very measurable.

2) Aging should be *much* better with the OCXO. Yes, the OCXO should be kept
on power all the time. Compared to the Crystek part it should be orders of magnitude
better.

3) Short and medium term ( tau of 1 second to 1,000 seconds ) stability should be
much better with the OCXO than with the stand alone box. Any of the typical DEV
measurements should show this. Each one may highlight things in a slightly different
way.

4) Turn on stability with the OCXO always on power and the box cycled, should be
much better. Effectively the “warm up” process is short circuited when running in
this mode.

How much any or all of these matter in the actual system is up to the user. However,
these are the areas that drive folks to put a reference on a clock generation device. If
they *do* matter, then they are the things that probably need to be characterized on
this or that reference ( and on the system).

Bob