[time-nuts] Re: Do crystals still jump?

dschuecker Detlef.Schuecker at dschuecker.de
Sat Sep 3 20:26:37 UTC 2022

Hi,

yes, they do jump.

Some years ago our DSL-modems fell out of sync when they were exposed to
a temperature jump., ie. in the warm exhaust of a vac cleaner. Sure, all
xtals have a temperature dependency, but with this batch of crystals
there was a frequency change of 50ppm or so for a temp change of
2Kelvin. These are perceived numbers, I do not have exact data. The
modems' PLL could not track the frequency change fast enough and the
modem fell outta sync. . We had a lot of these crystals in the field and
that was a pretty severe problem.

Cheers

Detlef