[time-nuts] Re: Do crystals still jump?

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Sep 6 03:56:28 UTC 2022

Hi

With an atomic clock, the crystal oscillator is locked ( FLL or PLL ) to
the atomic resonance. The OCXO is simply a circuit element rather than
the thing that determines the output. If the OCXO “jumps” then the PLL
or FLL gets it back on frequency ( quickly ….) . Net result is that you
don’t see a jump, you see a spike.

Bob