[time-nuts] how much is my router influencing time-keeping over the network

folkert folkert at vanheusden.com
Wed Sep 14 18:16:44 UTC 2022

Hi,

For fun I'm developing a router for HAM packet networks. What it does is
route AX.25 packets between radios and tunnels (it can also bridge- and
filter them).

What I would like to measure now is, how bad does it influence
time-keeping when syncing time takes place over a network. I could of
course just setup tcp/ip and let two ntp instances sync over it and then
calculate an allan deviation plot. But are there also ways that are more
interesting or simpler? Something like a ping-plot? (hmmm, maybe I can
do an Allan-D. plot from ping as well; measure send a ping and write
down when the response came in)

In all cases I would first measure things between my laptop and a
virtual machine and if that works (regular ping works fine) then I'll do
it over LoRa (a real radio connection).

some ping statistics over a virtual lan over my router:

5824 packets transmitted, 5824 received, 0% packet loss, time 1459943ms

regards,

PD9FVH (Dutch callsign)