[time-nuts] Re: how much is my router influencing time-keeping over the network

Keelan Lightfoot keelanlightfoot at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 00:28:34 UTC 2022

Smokeping is a favourite:

https://oss.oetiker.ch/smokeping/

Internet latency is my day job!

RTT measurements can be very noisy and unpredictable, and often you'll see
a pattern with a 24 hour period that reflects load patterns on the
internet. Also, the protocol does make a difference. TCP is basically
unusable for the purpose because of retransmits. ICMP and UDP are
soliciting different layers of the IP stack with different priorities, so
the results can be better or worse than expected. Thanks to physics, the
lower bound is much more predictable than the upper bound.

The "speed of light in the internet", is quite slow compared to the ideal
speed of light in a glass fiber. I should share some data I have that
characterizes the number on a global scale. Unsurprisingly, the speed of
light under the oceans is faster than the speed of light over land.

- Keelan