[time-nuts] Re: Testing replacement lamps for HP5065A

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Mon Sep 19 02:49:11 UTC 2022

Some anamorphic beam shaping via a prism or equivalent may be required for efficient use of the laser output.
The datasheet indicates that they are not truly longitudinal single mode except at a particular junction temperature which varies from one chip to the next.
Using some external feedback from an external cavity may be useful in stabilising operation on a single mode without mode jumps. Typical mode spacing appears to be somewhere around 0.5nm or so.
Random mode jumping to a wavelength 0.5nm or so from the desired wavelength will likely impact operation as a pump diode. Careful selection of laser diode, its temperature and excitation current will be required for successful operation.

Bruce