[time-nuts] Re: Temperature accuracy / repeatability / drift of double ovens

ghf at hoffmann-hochfrequenz.de ghf at hoffmann-hochfrequenz.de
Sat Apr 1 21:12:00 UTC 2023

Am 2023-03-31 20:13, schrieb Ed Marciniak via time-nuts:
> Linear technology made a thermoelectric full H bridge temperature
> controller. At the time, I’d like to say it came as a lot of two
> components. The second was an op-amp that may have been selected or
> trimmed unless there was a good reason to include it with samples
> (maybe less commonly available).
>
> It was supposed to be able to achieve 10 milliKelvin stability easily,
> and with more care in design, 1 milliKelvin stability was supposed to
> be not too difficult to achieve.

That really gives me some hope, I'll take the care :-)
The question is now how to prove it!

> It was a moderately expensive part…about $20 for the two components. A
> handful of passives and a a pair of N-channel and a pair of P-channel
> MOSFETs were required.
>
> If memory serves correctly it was also switched mode rather than
> linear.

Thanks for the pointer, also to Jim Lux.

As a first try, I used the Analog Devices ADN 8834, also from AD, now
that
they have bought LT. But the Linear Technology LTC1923 data sheet is in
a different league, they even give absolute numbers and strip charts.
I'd bet that this went over the desk of Jim Williams, RIP. Simply top
notch.
The ADN8843 has the H-Bridge built-in and it worked for someone I know.

I'm not too excited by the cascaded TECs. They can only provide a
temperature difference, and absolute temperature only with a regulation
loop with more time constants between the TEC and the NTC. The low
thermal
impedance path through the TEC is a real drawback, and probably the
culprit for the low efficiency. No wonder that no one uses them in
OCXOs.
But 87°C like in my Morion OCXOs is no solution, either, even if we
could
dim down the absolute temperature.

No crystal today, just VCSELs...