[time-nuts] Re: HP 10509A antenna specifications?

paul swed paulswedb at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 20:47:47 UTC 2023

I have had the chance to look at a LORAN C antenna at 100 KHz. Same
concepts. There were not that many turns as I recall.
The reality, this antenna and preamp appear to be in very good physical
shape considering they have been in the WX some 40 years.
When working it should make up the rest of the gain you were looking for.
The last email was -85 db. Might guess down to 90-100.
If possible check the electrolytic cap at the bottom. It also looks like
the resistor to the left may be discolored. Maybe fine.
You can generally still get old NOS nuvistor tubes. I picked up 2 sets for
my 117s.
The preamp also has the nice 60 KHz xtal filter. A good find for you.
Good luck
Paul
WB8TSL