[time-nuts] Re: HP 8663A: option 003

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon Apr 24 14:01:30 UTC 2023

Hi

The other (possibly obvious) thing with the 3048 is that you have taken
out the carrier by the quadrature downconversion process. That happens
before you ever get to the spectrum analyzer(s).

Indeed the HP analyzers from “back in the day” had pretty limited bit depth.
That was as good as it got for the era.

Even without the 3048 hardware, you can breadboard up a quadrature setup
for < $100. Run it into a good sound card and you will have phase noise
data. There will be ground loops to deal with. There’s also some math to get
the calibration right. The ground loop part also comes in if you run the 3048.

Software wise, there are a number of free “spectrum analyzer” programs out
there to get your sound card data captured and (in some cases) normalized
to 1 Hz bandwidth.

Bob