[time-nuts] Re: Domestic time pulse transmission

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.se
Fri Aug 4 14:53:13 UTC 2023

John,

Depending on the details, there is a few different options.

One is naturally to steer something that measures and which returns
measures as time-stamps over say WiFi.

A more direct approach can work in some cases, where you beam an RF
frequence (which naturally needs to be a frequency allowable for the
purpose in your country) onto the pendulum and then measure on a
receiver either reflection or transmission. This is directly comparable
to using a laserbeam in similar fashion, and that is an option too.
Probably this approach will not be possible, because of how other things
like doors, humans and house anminals will disturb things, so you need
to revert back to the first approach, steer something so you can use
that to measure.

You end up having to put some logic inside that. Be it an ESP32,
Beaglebone or RPi. I would probably go with the RPi due to my higher
familiarity with it. If you can put a GPS receiver in there, you can use
it's PPS as timing reference and it will be far better and fairly
straight-forward than anything you do. You will probably not have to go
all the way to TICC for time-stamping, but if you feel extra time-nutty,
that is where you will be heading.

I have considered doing something simliar.

Cheers,
Magnus