[time-nuts] Re: Query about TSC5120A usage protocols

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat Aug 5 15:57:40 UTC 2023

Hi

Not based on the TCS5120, but on other devices from the same era …

You can buy a pile of CF cards all of which are *supposed* to be identical in size (they all say 4GB …).

First thing is, they have slightly different sizes. If the target is smaller (even by a few KB) that’s not a
good thing. You can indeed find these details for most cards. Since outfits *do* change these specs
from time to time, be sure to match up the numbers on the exact part you are buying.

Next up, the structure / internals of the cards may not be the same. Good luck finding this documented
anywhere. Indeed, ones you buy this week may be different than ones you buy a few weeks from now.
I have empirical data on that …… same outfit, same labeling, same size, very subtle package difference.
The first batch works, the second batch, not at all.

Net result: “this card works” isn’t an “always” sort of thing.

When you do the copy (depending on the copy technique), all the cards in the pile may copy fine.
The copy process may not care that the target is to small, it just does what it can. It’s smart enough
to deal with the various internal details on the cards.

Go and plug the card into the device and … pow. Some of them work. Others don’t. Back to the
giant pile to try another card.

What’s going on? I can only guess that the early card interface hardware had some limitations. The
newer generations are more flexible. It could also be the card drivers buried in the OS image on the
cards that are being duplicated. I’ve never dug into that part of it.

Bob