[time-nuts] TSC5120A and 5125A heat issue

Tom Knox actast at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 6 18:17:08 UTC 2023

Hi Bob;
A great product you designed. I wish Microchip would have continued evolution in that (standalone instrument) direction.
After many hours researching the heat and time-out issues on the 5125A and 5120A I found the solution was adding a larger 60mm fan and an airflow deflector near the front panel to create a circular airflow through-out the instrument. There are a number of additional details to this upgrade but It completely solved the issues and the final mod had no negative effect - perhaps actually improving performance by reducing measurement artifacts. To accomplish this, I tried over 10 fans, and in the final REV placed the fan outside the chassis using gaskets and neoprene washers to reduce electrical noise and isolate mechanical vibration. At the time I also added an external monitor output.
Another upgrade that helps protect the 5120/5A series from front end damage ( I believe is standard on many later 5120A/5125A analyzers ) are DC blocks on the inputs. I did this differently than Microchip by adding metrology grade stainless TNC to SMA front panel connectors and installed Mini -Circuits BLK-89-S+ DC Blocks directly to those adapters with SMA-m to SMA-m RA cables between the front panel DC blocks and P/N module inputs.
I also added additional RAM doubling the original (256MB?) to 512MB.
I attached a few photos.
All these minor improvements made an exceptional product better achieve its full potential.

Feel free to contact me for details.

Enjoy;
Tom Knox
SR Test and Measurement Engineer
Phoenix Research
4870 Meredith Way Apt 102
Boulder, Co 80303
Formerly of:
357 Fox Lane
Superior Co 80027
303-554-0307
actast at hotmail.com

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/marshall-fire/superior-man-moving-forward-after-losing-dream-research-lab-during-marshall-fire

"Peace is not the absence of violence, but the presence of Justice" Both MLK and Albert Einstein