[time-nuts] Re: TSC5120A

Bob Martin aphid1 at comcast.net
Sun Aug 6 22:02:29 UTC 2023

Tom,

  It is exciting to see that people like yourself are improving on
the design of the TSC5120A.  When I was the EKG designer for HP
Medical we had enormous resources for wringing out designs for
reliability and performance under varied conditions. Not so much
for a small company like Timing Solution where judgement and
experience are crucial to success of any product. The TSC5120
took years to develop with limited resources. At that time
we had other irons in the fire such as the Master Timing
Node for the National ignition Facility, the NASA Deep Space
Upgrade, Loran and a family of 1U distribution products to name a few.

FOR THE RECORD - I did not design the TSC5120.
I did design the backplane and some ancillary boards that went
into the unit.  The real designer was a brilliant engineer named
Wayne Solbrig who is deceased. Of course Sam Stein sat in Olympus
and watched over everything that went on at TSC. I'm not a Time
and Frequency person. As Director of Hardware Development and an
active designer, I was just a bumblebee flying around under Sam's
direction.

Hank Ball, now retired (but still a true Time-Nut), redesigned the
front end to reduce susceptibility to input damage and improve
performance after Wayne left Symmetricom.

I hated that little fan from the day I saw it. It ran at high
speed and I worried that it might affect measurements. It was added
as an afterthought to reduce the internal temperature. I'm happy to
see that you have improved on that design.

It would be really neat if Microchip released the TSC5120 design to
a bunch of Time-Nuts! The technology is old enough so that I doubt
there is anything proprietary left in the design.

My condolences on the loss of your lab in the Marshal fire.

Best,

Bob Martin

Message: 3