[time-nuts] Issue with my 3816a

majanoff at gmail.com majanoff at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 14:06:58 UTC 2023

My HP 3816A is no longer working properly. I can communicate with it through
the serial interface, however it never acquires any satellites. It
occasionally shows satellites in the process of acquisition, but for the
most part there are no satellites acquired in Lady Heather or GPSCON.  I
suspect the GPS card, as I don't get any response when I remove it and try
to connect to the software in a standalone mode. I know that I can purchase
a new GPS card, however before I spend $200 on a new card, I'd like to know
it will fix my issue as the card is non-returnable. If someone has an extra
GPS card for this unit that they could lend me, that would be great
(alternatively, I'd be happy to send my 3816A if you can test with your
card). I have working Motorola cards from TAPR that fit into the 3816, but
they do not solve the problem. The 3816A does pass all the self-tests.

Regards,

Mitch