[time-nuts] Re: Working on a low-phase-noise frequency multiplier

Ed Marciniak ed at nb0m.org
Fri Aug 25 18:24:18 UTC 2023

For certain use cases, sometimes a mixer is used to compare the two and steer the tuning element. This avoids the divider element altogether. I'd expect you'd want buffer amplifiers that have high isolation to ensure one oscillator doesn't pull the other. The right mix might also be something in between for simplicity, like an amplifier, a diode doubler, an amplifier, and a mixer to compare 2 MHz to 10MHz or 5MHz from the 2.5x2 to the 10MHz, and in either case using an op-amp to drive the 10 MHz oscillator's tuning element.

It would also be fair to consider what quality 10MHz oscillator is required so that with appropriate low pass filtering its performance is maximized, and better that simply cascading doublers.