[time-nuts] Re: So what's inside that Cs beam tube anyway?

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Thu Aug 31 20:01:13 UTC 2023

 > Five or six years ago I cut open one of the original HP cesium beam tubes
 > and posted some pictures. I presume they are floating around the net
 > somewhere still.

Yes, there are at least 3 copies: your original posting, the RDR
website, and your user directory on leapsecond:

https://febo.com/pipermail/time-nuts_lists.febo.com/2016-October/083806.html
http://www.rdrelectronics.com/skip/CS-tube/
http://leapsecond.com/u/skip/CBT-2016/

There are 2 copies of your new photos:

https://febo.com/pipermail/time-nuts_lists.febo.com/2023-August/108284.html
http://leapsecond.com/u/skip/CBT-2023/

You did a really nice job with the cut-away. Do you want to describe the
tools & technique that you used? Many of us have dead CBT at home and
these "tear down" projects are always fascinating but it seems like a
lot of messy work.

----

Here are photos of some cesium tubes on display at the hp factory in
Santa Clara (2005):

http://leapsecond.com/pages/cesium-tube/

For scale, here's a modern tube (5071A) next to the first commercial
cesium beam tube (Atomichron, late 1950's):

http://leapsecond.com/pages/cesium-tube/CBT-Atomichron-5071A-IMG_6441.jpg

/tvb