[time-nuts] Re: pulling some crystals

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat Dec 9 14:40:04 UTC 2023

Hi

Having designed / built / shipped a few (million) OCXO’s over the years ….

1) Every one of them got an aging test. There *never* was an assumption made based on this or that crystal process. Some percentage always got rejected. Yes, this bothered the accountants quite a bit :) :). If there had been a way to go with some sort of 3 day “crystal check”, the savings would have been in the millions of dollars.

2) Crystal aging and its modeling is a “fun” field to dig into. There are a lot of things that can make it difficult. The equations you see in various papers are useful. Often the data they use to demonstrate the fit is from runs that are not quite in the “typical” range …. errr ….  One typical gotcha is fitting an initial “retrace” sort of curve (which damps out in hours / days) and calling that aging. Another gotcha is that the worse the crystal, the better it will fit this or that curve ( = there is one dominant effect driving things).

3) Ferrite core inductors can (and sometimes do) dominate the aging, even of a VHF design. More than any other part, coils pop up as “hard to manage” items. The first OCXO I ever worked on was a redesign to eliminate a ferrite part.

4) Back in the day (1930’s maybe ….) the theory was that aging doubled every time you bumped the temperature by 10C. Obviously this would make an OCXO at 90C horrible compared to one at 0C. Folks did to the experiment in the 1950’s (and possibly before that). They saw no advantage aging wise and a lot of issues thermal design wise. Yes, this was done with OCXO crystals.

5) The packaging and processing for an OCXO crystal is very different than what is done for something targeted at a room temperature MCU sort of application. There *is* a reason you pay more for an OCXO crystal.

6) Some level of burn in is a good idea for any OCXO. This includes ones that simply have been on the shelf for a couple years. It is not at all uncommon to just put a part on power for a couple of weeks before you test or use it.

Aging wise, what to do:

One option is to set up something like HP used. Very fancy, very nicely done, lots and lots of data collected. One would guess pretty darn expensive to implement.

The opposite extreme is to just put them on a shelf and wheel up a frequency counter every so often. Is that once a day 5 days a week? Maybe. Take a month (or two) of data and look at it. Folks did aging checks this way “back then”. It’s not ideal, but it is *way* better than nothing at all.

Fun !!!!

Bob