[time-nuts] Re: pulling some crystals

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Mon Dec 11 14:18:16 UTC 2023

Great summary Bob.

Just wanted to amplify your point about the "dominant effect" syndrome.
When I was young and foolish 50 years ago, I believed the folklore
about Colorado Crystals "magic" glass enclosures:  unlike "dirty" metal
enclosures, the glass ones were ultra clean, which was "proven"
by the fact that they always drifted up in frequency, whereas
metal ones drifted downward.  Later, when I joined HP and met Jack
Kusters, he told me about the dominant effect syndrome.  His
philosophy is that if aging is not random, you have a dominant process.
He told me that he had eliminated as much as possible any such
processes.  Specifically, his copper enclosures were fabricated in
such a way as to eliminate outgassing of copper or whatever from the
can to the quartz that would bias the aging in the downward direction.

Rick N6RK