[time-nuts] Re: pulling some crystals

glen english LIST glenlist at cortexrf.com.au
Tue Dec 12 06:20:21 UTC 2023

Well today Bob, I find hysteresis, retrace, and spurious modes all
affected by pulling the temperature all over the place ( as an attempt
to get another handle of control) .  Ands different starting behaviour
at temperature spots. golly.

Propensity of spurious modes (my 3OT xtals) seems to be dependent on
temperature, also. golly.

This is tough. Might just have  tweak  in there that gets adjusted every
few years.

Holding it over a narrow temperature range (without the intention of
stability) appears to improve behaviour of hysteresis, retrace and
spurious modes, at least over a few hours.

IE by holding it in a in a small temperature range, I reduce the number
of things that can affect the outcome.

Time to go back and read some more Rubiola.

Bob, I built your low noise oscillator for a fundamental AT xtal.
Reduced bad behaviour, but more noise than the overtone crystal.

Geeez who would build crystal oscillators for a living ????

glen