[time-nuts] Re: pulling some crystals

ghf at hoffmann-hochfrequenz.de ghf at hoffmann-hochfrequenz.de
Mon Dec 18 17:23:03 UTC 2023

Am 2023-12-18 16:14, schrieb Matt Huszagh via time-nuts:

> Don't forget that you can also use a lookup table implementation with
> interpolation between table entries. Often, a small table and simple
> This probably goes without saying, but also don't forget that you don't
> need to store one full sine/cosine period! The only non-redundant part
> if you're computing just sine or just cosine is one quarter of the
> period. Or, if you're computing both simultaneously, just take 1/8 of a
> period. So, for the fixed-point implementation when computing both,
> drop
> the 3 most significant bits for lookup in the table, then use those 3

I'd sign all of this.

I have published a Sine/cos table some 12 years ago in pure VHDL on
<  https://opencores.org/projects/sincos   > that does all the mirroring
and pipelining automagically and delivers sine AND cos at the same time
without doubling the resources. IIRC it ran at 200 MHz without tuning on
Spartan 6 eval board. Completely portable, no Xilinx IP required. (but
synthesis-friendly). The delays of a CORDIC are highly unwelcome in an
all-
digital PLL or Costas loop, and for mixed A/D systems, the DAC and its
reference voltage are usually the limit.

With hardwired carry chains, DSP-48 blocks and block rams, long word
lengths
have lost their horror.

In 1985, I built this 200 MSPS signal averager. It took 8 pipelines in
parallel, each 2 dozen stages deep. We have come a long way since then.
<
https://www.flickr.com/photos/137684711@N07/52758369518/in/dateposted-public/

The board replaces everything blurred in the background.

Attila, if you see this, that was at Fraunhofer, 300 meters downhill
from where you work now.  :-)

regards, Gerhard