[time-nuts] Re: gravity fields affect time keeping?

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Wed Feb 1 16:21:59 UTC 2023

Hi

One of the most basic issues with manufacturing any accurate standard / clock is that you
need “something better” for your reference. If you manufacture things like active masers
and 5071’s that makes this a significant challenge. For the MHM-2010 you *might* want to
demonstrate <1x10^-15 sort of ADEV numbers at 10,000 seconds before they ship.

One way to go for an ADEV target is to run a reference that is 5X better than the device
you are testing. This makes for less math and far fewer hours spent explaining this and
that to customers. <2x10^-16 at 10,000 sec puts you into the land of experimental standards.
There aren’t any off the shelf answers.

If you want to look at the long term spec on the MHM-2010, you are after 2x10^-16 per day
test results. You are off into the parts in 10^-17 world for a reference. Same basic answer,
not much off the shelf

One answer is an ensemble of devices. You then might hope that performance improves
by sqt(N). That’s why you see people go to rooms full of fancy standards. Common mode
issues (temperature ….) then become a big challenge. Still, that’s the “why?” when you
see that room full of standards.

It’s a pretty good bet that whatever the comparison was made to, it is in the parts in 10^-16
per day sort of range and it is monitored in a fashion that can back that claim up pretty
well. Can they back up a 1x10^-16 / day number? You’d have to give them a call and ask.

Bob