[time-nuts] Role of GPS for Kalman Filter

Mayukh Bagchi mayukh.bagchi at queensu.ca
Thu Feb 2 19:13:39 UTC 2023

Hello all,

I am new to the world of sensor fusion and Kalman filters and especially working with GPS. I am trying to build a precise position reference package comprising a GPS module ( yet to be finalized, suggestions are welcome),  accelerometers, gyroscopes, and magnetometers. The idea is to interface all of these with a Pi and run a sensor fusion (Kalman filter ) script to fuse all of these data to get a Lat, long, and True North, East, and Down.

I am trying to achieve a cm level precision. The package will be flying on a balloon about ~30 km up in the stratosphere. I have talked to a few GPS companies that provide correctional services (RTK) at such altitudes but I am not sure if that kind of investment is worth it. Basically, I am trying to understand the contribution of a good GPS toward the Kalman Filter.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Mayukh

Mayukh Bagchi (He/Him), MSc
Graduate Student
Department of Physics, Engineering Physics, and Astronomy

mayukh.bagchi at queensu.ca<mailto:mayukh.bagchi at queensu.ca>
[Queen's University Logo]<https://www.queensu.ca/>