[time-nuts] Re: General query about disciplining circuitry

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Feb 3 16:31:50 UTC 2023

Hi

I would back up a bit first ….

What sort of oscillator is being disciplined? If the 1W is the total power budget, that rules out
most OCXO’s. Why ask? The stability of the oscillator does get into this pretty quickly.

What is the end goal? Are you after precision time or precision frequency? While they are
connected, the approach to optimize one is not quite the same at the approach for the other.

What are the stability goals either for time or frequency?

Is this a mobile / portable application? If so that also impacts a lot of this and gets into a whole
other set of questions.

To at least partly answer the question you asked:

The PPS comes out of the GPS at the same time as the sawtooth correction information. In
most cases, you want to marry those two up immediately. That way the correction does apply
to the data you took. Does this matter in your case? Thus the long list of questions above.

Bpb