[time-nuts] Re: General query about disciplining circuitry

AC0XU (Jim) James.Schatzman at ac0xu.com
Fri Feb 3 17:37:01 UTC 2023

1W is the notional power budget for the discipliner.

I am interested in optimizing designs for precision time, precision frequency, and precision time and frequency (three cases). I am o.k. with the idea of  not adjusting the oscillator phase to perfectly match GNSS but to instead record and track the offset without actually tweaking the oscillator for time/phase. That might be the best, and maybe that approach reduces the distinction between precision time and precision frequency.

The goal for the loosest case is 1e-11 adev over 0.1 to 1000 sec, but I am interested in doing as well as the oscillator will support. In a future design I will be using an oscillator with 1e-12 adev @ 1 sec, but the current one is good for maybe 1e-11 @ 1 sec at best. The receiver platform is moving, and no radio mfr publishes performance specs for this case.

Thank you for reminding me about the sawtooth. I will need to study the sawtooth behavior of the radio. One I am looking at now is the OEM7 series.

Again, given that there are many possible approaches to precision phase measurement, and being pretty sure that I want to do more than implement a frequency counter, I am looking for advice.

Thanks!

.