[time-nuts] Re: General query about disciplining circuitry

Carsten Andrich carsten.andrich at tu-ilmenau.de
Fri Feb 10 09:11:31 UTC 2023

Hi Jim,

there are a bunch of fairly low-complexity designs on EEVblog. Just to
name a few:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/lars-diy-gpsdo-with-arduino-and-1ns-resolution-tic/
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/diy-gpsdo-project-w-stm32-tdc7200/
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/yet-another-diy-gpsdo-yes-another-one/
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/gpsdognssdo-stm32g4-u-blox-zed-f9t-tdc7200/
(disclaimer: my personal, currently stalled project)

Depending on your desired time tagging resolution, using an MCU timer
capture (with the timer driven by your oscillator) may already suffice.
Various STM32 advertise <10 ns capture resolution. If you require higher
resolution I'd suggest to use a TDC7200. For that extra effort to
amortize, I believe you need to rely on a dedicated timing GNSS receiver
and to implement time pulse quantization (sawtooth) correction.

Best regards,
Carsten