[time-nuts] Re: General query about disciplining circuitry

Mike Ingle finndmike62 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 09:17:48 UTC 2023

Hi Jim,
If I understand your question, you want a low cost precise method of
measuring 1pps phase relative to an independent oscillator?

If that is the case, then I would propose creating a linear ramp with at
least 10 samples in the linear region of the ramp from the pps and sampling
the ramp with a good ADC such as  ADC3561 (10MHz assumed..).  Least squares
fitting a line through the samples, and calculating the intersection with
the horizontal line preceding the ramp (in sim shown green is PPS in blue
is linear ramp).  This is a cheap single supply version using a pfet
(ignore bss138, it was a bss84) to hold an integrator in reset until the
PPS arrives.  On a dual supply version using a JFET, and a sampling rate
around 50MHz, a PPS arrival time measurement uncertainty of less than 20ps
has been achieved. There is a 3541 version of the TI ADC I referred to
which might be interfacable to a microcontroller with QSPI.  I always use
FPGAs for this so...

Good luck. --mike
[image: image.png]