[time-nuts] Re: Looking for getting-started info on GPSDO ("Nortel Trimble NTBW50AA-05")

EB4APL eb4apl at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 01:29:49 UTC 2023

Hi,

I have the same GPSDO running continuously for several years, it is the
10 MHz reference for my home lab.

I enclosed it in a recycled HiFi cabinet and home built a 48 VDC power
supply. The intensity varies between 320 mA when cold and 150 mA when
the crystal oven reaches the operating temperature (about 5 minutes),
this includes the antenna consumption.

I modified the flat cable that goes to the front panel PCB and added a
second DB-9 connector for the back panel. Both connectors are in parallel.

On the back panel I installed 3 BNC connectors for the 10 MHz, 0.5 PPS
and the 9.8304 MHz (X8 CHIP, a signal only useful for the cell tower
operator). and one F connector for the antenna input. I used 4 pigtails
for connecting the rear mounted connectors to the board which have SMB
connectors. I bought the pigtails assembled on eBay from China, high
quality and cheaper that assembling them myself..

I made a modification to have a 1 PPS output because both the 0.5 PPS
and the X8 CHIP signals were not useful for me. It is really easy:

- Cut the trace between TP 14 and U405 pin 6.

  - Solder a wire between TP 14 and TP 33. Now you have 1 PPS on the
former 9.8304 MHz connector.

The 1 PPS pulse is a 10 uS negative going from +5V to 0V.

Since the 1 PPS is related to the 9.8304 MHz signal it will have a delay
(540, 440, 340, 240 or 140 nS with respect to the 0.5 PPS signal), it
depends of which cycle of the 9.8304 MHz signal it locks in. If the unit
loses lock the delay can be any of these when it locks again.

The power input is on J2, column 1 (all pins) is the negative and column
4 is the positive.

This is the antenna that I use, I bought it in ebay. For testing you can
use a "puck" antenna intended for 5V before you find an appropriate one.

I have to find some documentation but I attach some pictures and other
info. I'll try to find more.

Tomorrow I'll tell you something about configuring this GPSDO. Unless
you enter your location, it thinks that is on the previous one and never
will lock. Don't panic.

Regards,

Ignacio EB4APL