[time-nuts] Re: HP 5061A - bad cesium beam tube?

Lynn Grant lgrant at nevacross.com
Tue Feb 28 00:40:54 UTC 2023

Just as a data point, I am running a couple of SEL-2401 GPS receivers with
Symmetricom 58532A antennas in my bedroom window. One of the SEL-2401s has
new microcode and stays locked continuously. The other one is older, and it
is mostly locked, but loses lock for several minutes from time to time. I
am going to try a temporary outdoor mount for one of the antennas (I own my
house, so I don't have landlord restrictions, but I do have to convince my
wife that I'm not crazy, so I want to try it temporarily first.) But I am
also thinking, the doco for the 58532A antenna mentions a 58529A GPS Line
Amplifier with L1 Bandpass Filter, (
https://www.microsemi.com/existing-parts/parts/138202) which has 20dB gain.
It is designed for counteracting cable loss on long antenna cables. I'm not
sure how well it will work if your signal is just too weak. I am thinking
that the bandpass filter might help it do more than just amplify the noise.
They seem to be going for about $150 - $180 on eBay. You might consider
that. If I get one, I will report on how well it works.

Lynn