[time-nuts] Re: WWVB receiver schematic inquiry

paul swed paulswedb at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 01:36:44 UTC 2023

Max
It depends on what your interest is. If you want to decode the AM signal
then you can simply use a TRF receiver. The challenge these days are
getting inductors for the tank circuits. As a result newer designs use op
amp bandpass filters. Technology being what it is there are single chip
units for very little cost. Add the loop and a 60 KHz crystal and it works
at very low power consumption. The C-MAX chip is an example if they can be
obtained these days.
However if you want to decode the PSK signal thats a much more complicated
design. Search for KD2BD and that should get the QEX article. I have built
it and it does indeed work.
Depending on your location and distance from wwvb will establish how well
the receiver will work over 24 hours.
Near Boston I use a 10' X 10' square loop with several hundred feet of wire
and preamp.
Good luck.
Paul
WB8TSL