[time-nuts] Re: HP 10811-60111 Oscillators {External}

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Thu Jan 12 00:34:35 UTC 2023

Hi

There is no perfect “buy it for your basement” answer for all Tau.

You can ( as mentioned ) sort OCXO’s and do pretty well at 1 second or less.

You can buy a passive Hydrogen Maser and do pretty well at 1 second and very well from there on out.
(An active maser won’t do quite as well, but they are easier to carry around the basement and a lot cheaper).

You can go with a Rb and be about an order of magnitude ( or two …. depending on the Rb model ) behind
this or that  maser. Cost wise, you’ll be *way* ahead.

You can buy a brand new 5071 with a high performance tube. Cost wise, you might be better off with that
brand new active maser. ADEV wise, the Cs will catch up at some point. Is that a day or a week? Depends on just
exactly what sort of maser you bought.

Go to a standard tube on your 5071 and you will not have to send it back to the factory every 6 years
for a new tube ( assuming it runs 24/7 ). You also will save some money. Your time to hit the maser will
stretch out by a factor of 2 to 4.

Is any of this basement stuff going to rival what the big boys have? Nope. You will be a few orders of
magnitude behind them in an ADEV race at most tau’s.

Bob