[time-nuts] Re: Low 1/f transistors for oscillator

Richard Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Tue Jan 17 01:12:43 UTC 2023

Generally speaking, the 1/f noise at, say 10 Hz, for a crystal
oscillator is determined

entirely by the intrinsic noise of the crystal.  It's really hard to
screw up an oscillator

circuit so badly that it actually contributes anything to the oscillator
1/f noise.

For instance, I'm sure we will all agree that the HP 10811 is a pretty
decent oscillator.

FYI, essentially the same crystal is used in the E1938A that I designed.
  Those two

oscillators have ENTIRELY different circuits.  Yet both achieve the same
close in

phase noise as what I measured for the intrinsic noise of the crystal.
By the way,

the HP 10811 uses a selected 2N5179 transistor.  But is NOT SELECTED FOR

1/f NOISE.  Instead it is selected for good gain at high DC collector
current, because

the HP engineer who designed it had trouble with the oscillator starting
up correctly,

in conjunction with the ALC circuit.

If you use the same output circuit for your oscillator as the 10811, you
will also

have no oscillator transistor contribution to far out phase noise.
This is all

very well documented if you want to read the details.

In a previous life, I designed many many 5th overtone oscillators.  Your
crystal

like the Croven ones I used in those days is not of the same caliber as
the

10811 crystal, so therefore it is even more unlikely that the transistor

you choose is going to make any difference.  I always locked my 5th OT

crystals to something like a 10544 oscillator to clean them up close in

using PLL synthesizers.  The 10811 hadn't been invented yet.

I hope this gets you back on the right track.

---
Rick Karlquist
N6RK