[time-nuts] Re: Unobtanium bulbs for HP506x: Found 'em!

Robert LaJeunesse lajeunesse at mail.com
Tue Jan 31 16:42:25 UTC 2023

   On eBay even.

   Maybe you guys aren't old enough to have dealt with panel lamps in the
   60s. I worked in radio and TV studios that used lots of #327, #382, and
   similar bulbs, often in illuminated pushbuttons. The video clearly
   shows to me a threaded fresnel cover holding a "midget flanged base
   bulb". Fran didn't know to use a knife edge to pry the bulb out of the
   cover - these bulbs always were a pain to deal with.

   There are lots of this size bulb available, such
   as: https://www.ebay.com/itm/314217639000

   For other voltages check out:
   https://www.digikey.com/en/products/filter/lamps-incandescents-neons/10
   1?s=N4IgTCBcDaILYEsAmBzApgFwAQDMA2AhgHbpIgC6AvkA

   Bob L.
   > Sent: Tuesday, January 31, 2023 at 7:25 AM
   > From: "Poul-Henning Kamp via time-nuts" <time-nuts at lists.febo.com>
   > To: time-nuts at lists.febo.com
   > Cc: "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk at phk.freebsd.dk>
   > Subject: [time-nuts] Unobtanium bulbs for HP506x: Found 'em!
   >
   > I was watching FranLab on YouTube and noticed that at 11:23 in this
   > video, she is holding what looks like one of the unobtainum indicator
   > bulbs used in the HP5061/HP5065:
   >
   > [1]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIuYmXT1M1E
   >
   > That leads to "Transistor Electronics Corporation"
   >
   > In their catalogue:

   [2]https://www.computerhistory.org/brochures/t-z/transistor-electronics
   -corporation-tec/

   > On pdf page 9, is the "TIL" lamp-holder, without "-S", and the text
   says "midget flange base" bulbs.