[time-nuts] Re: Denmark in the Century of the fruitbat

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.se
Mon Jan 30 23:15:35 UTC 2023

Hi,

On 1/25/23 21:41, Poul-Henning Kamp via time-nuts wrote:
> As some of you may recall, legal time in Denmark is "the mean solar
> time of the 15th eastern longitude", because nobody got around to
> update the "Law of Time" from 1893 which said so.
>
> (See also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRz-Dl60Lfc)
>
> Today, finally, the government proposed new law which says which
> will say:
>
> 	"Danish normal time will follow UTC plus one hour"
>
> If ratified, the law will take effect on March 26 2023 at 02:00.

Congratulation! This will be a moment to celebrate!

> The law does not say if 02:00 is according to the old or the new
> law, which according to current Bulletin A will differ by 22.68
> milliseconds by then.
I am sure I can match both events with the same toast.
> Related to this, the Danish Institute of Fundamental Metrology
> received a grant last year to implement and distribute this new
> legal timescale and to contribute it to BIPM.
>
> DFM went shopping at T4, and have spent half a year getting to know
> their new maser, which they now report to BIPM as UTC(DFM):
>
> 	https://webtai.bipm.org/ftp/pub/tai/Circular-T/cirthtm/cirt.420.htm

Their new guy Jürgen is also very friendly and eager to work with the
community. Talked to him in Paris.

I applaud and congratulate them on reaching this step!

> At some point soonish, they will also start to distribute their
> timescale with NTP and PTP, at which point my 25 year long career
> as unofficial danish provider of illegal time will come to an end.

Maybe we should do some unofficial handing over of the torch? :)

Regardless, many thanks for assisting the Danish society by providing a
time-server.

> Related to that I note with some sadness, that my own time-nut
> activities have taken a back-seat to my involvement in datamuseum.dk.
>
> As a result, I am starting feel a bit guilty about "hoarding"
> time-nut kit, which I never find time do something with, and will
> therefore entertain fair offers from fellow time-nuts on:

Oh, tempting!

Cheers,
Magnus